Thursday 6 November 2014

Trevethoe House


I spent a lovely evening on Tuesday with the ladies of  Shrewsbury Embroiderer's Guild, talking about my work and chatting to them. I took along some work to show them and this was one of the pieces I took.

I don't have a formal education in textiles, I've learned along the way over the years, and I can't remember a time when I wasn't making things. I used to regret not having studied art or textiles, feeling that it put me at a disadvantage, but I don't anymore. A lot of my work is very personal and draws on my experience of life and I don't think I'd be making the work I do now without having been on a personal and creative journey.

This piece is about a year of my life, in 2005 (although I didn't stitch this piece until later, in 2012). During this year, myself and my husband took a 'year out' from full time work to concentrate on our creative selves, after the sale of a home and a business and a long period of stress. It was during this year, and having this time to devote to my art that marked a turning point in the work I was making, when lots of different elements came together. We rented a house in a rural location, the first time I'd experienced living in the countryside, something which was to have a profound effect on my work and my creative process. The house was called Trevethoe House.







19 comments:

NancyK said...

I am in such awe of your soulful stitch and story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

So lovely!

Brigitte said...

Love,love your art-creations, so talented and patient! Thanks <3

Marci said...

Wonderful piece of art. Exquisite!

theodora said...

I so admire your work.
Self taught is the best ..it always has unique qualities...
As Marci comment exquisite....
Barb

Anonymous said...

I have found your blog to be one of my favorites. your work is so soothing. thank you for the lovely images. Lizzie

bayou said...

Thanks god your creativity and artful soul was never spoiled by any university teaching, Christine. What you are making is absolutely unique and the most delightful. I love how you embedded the house in that work. Your birds and butterflies are always so lovely.

Dianne Murcutt said...

This piece of work literally took my breath away. I love all your work, stunning

Andy Lloyd Williams said...

I wish I had been at the talk with the Shrewsbury stitchers - how inspirational it must have been.

Mo Crow said...

what a beautiful sharing Christina!

Mo Crow said...

mea culpa Christine!

brodine said...

travail remarquable, c'est magnifique, merci pour le partage, un plaisir à découvrir :)

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

What a beautiful piece of work!

Unknown said...

Beautiful work, just found your blog and will look at it on the week-end, amitié, Martine

Dee at The Carlton said...

I am in awe of your talent & beautiful work - especially after attending a workshop & seeing your handiwork up close & meeting you. Time out is good for the soul …

Waggledance said...

I've just discovered your blog and work and am working my through ... had to stop reading to tell you that this piece of work is breath-taking!

You rarely write about yourself or your story so this post was doubly interesting ... I'd love to hear more of how you began, what/who inspired you in the beginning and where you source your lovely fabrics.

gentlework said...

Thank you 'Waggledance' for taking the time to comment. I'm so pleased you are enjoying my work. You can read a bit more about me and what inspires me in this interview http://lepetitcoquin.ie/admin/les-petits-bonheurs-gentlework-by-christine-kelly/

Christine x

Waggledance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
memeakanadine said...

I am laying here sick watching the view. I fell into your beauty on Pinterest. Thank you.